Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Easy, "skinny" sloppy joes

I sincerely wish that everytime I stepped into the kitchen the heavens would begin to sing for the culinary masterpiece that was about to come forth. But, if I'm being honest, unless I'm following a pretty tested and tried recipe, it's generally more a swing and a miss type if deal for me. 

However, those few times I actually just get it right, make it to the blog. When I asked what these tasted like, my husband said: sloppy joes...so I know I got it right. ;)  

I'm calling these skinny sloppy joes because I tried to make them as healthy as possible. I'm also a simple creature and believe that less is more 90% of the time. So there's a big chance you already have almost everything that goes in these  healthified sloppy joes. 

Quick and healthy sloppy joes
1 pound ground turkey
1 T olive oil 
1/4 c. All natural organic ketchup (no high fructose corn syrup stuff. You can get good ketchup at most health good stores) 
1 T mustard
1/4 cup coconut sugar (coconut sugar is one of the only sugars that is low on the glycemic index so it won't spike your blood sugar) 
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder 
1 1/2 tsp chili powder 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Start by adding the turkey and olive oil to your skillet and "brown" until meat is no longer pink. While you have the juice from the meats, add your coconut sugar and let it caramelize. After about five minutes, add your spices. Once everything is cooked through and fragrant, remove skillet from heat and add your ketchup and mustard. Mix and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment