Monday, June 10, 2013

Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Mint Chocolate Chip)


With temps breaking the 90 degree barrier, I believe it is safe to say it is summer! Summer, in my family, has always meant frozen treats: ice cream sandwiches, frozen hostess products (R.I.P) and pre frozen ice cream cones. (Yeah, those Nestle drumsticks that sport about 16 grams of fat per cone) it’s amazing my family (and when I say family I mean my mom...my sisters and I have strayed far from the typical summer treats) isn't 1000 pounds by now. however, long story short, and being the self-proclaimed fat kid that I am, I needed to find an alternative to my mom's death traps; formerly known as warm weather treats.
It’s primarily ice cream that gets me. I used to be a frozen yogurt whore until I decided that I want to avoid sugar...have you ever tried to find a good frozen yogurt that is naturally sweetened? If you've found one, please, let me know. I have yet to succeed in that quest unless it’s a 1/2 pint of yogurt for 7.99. There are even some treats I won’t buy. Depressing.
Sugar is in everything. If you don't see the problem with that, please, read this! There is much motivation to learn to make your own healthy alternatives to a generally fattening, sugary treat. 

NOTE: you need an ice cream making machine. There are ways to make it in bags (which I have done) but it has proven to be very messy.

INGREDIENTS

  1. 2 cans FULL FAT coconut milk. (I get that the idea of anything full fat may scare some of you....but the words low fat or fat free should scare you more because all it translates into is CHEMICAL SHIT STORM...wish I coined that phrase...I didn't... I just love it...whoever did was brilliant.)
  2. 2 tsp. peppermint extract (if someone wants to try it with peppermint essential oils, do it and let me know! I wanted to but the idea of that freaked out the husband. I imagine it would only need probably 10 drops)
  3. 1 tsp. vanilla extract 
  4. 1/4 C agave
  5. 1/4 C honey
  6. 1 Endangered species mint chocolate bar; shaven to flakes (endangered species uses a body friendly natural sweetener...you may use regular chocolate if you wish)

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk each ingredient together (minus the chocolate shavings) and dump in your ice cream maker or inner bag. Fill the ice cream maker or outer bag as directed and mix until frozen, add chocolate flakes roughly 30 seconds prior to completion. Eat immediately for a soft serve healthy treat!!

Bon appetite my healthy friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment