Monday, June 3, 2013

Summer [Gluten Free] Blues

If you're anything like my family, barbeques are kind of just a natural part of summer. When I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I hated barbeques; that was until the beauty of the turkey burger emerged. Then when I discovered I was gluten intolerant, I experienced another BBQ kill-joy. However, with the blessing of grass fed meats because of my hunting husband (and me this year. Woot woot!) and my discovery of lettuce burgers, there is summer BBQ hope, yet!
When we took our mini trip to Las Vegas, I got a Groupon for a restaurant called Wild Burger. It took me weeks to plan that trip because I wanted to make sure we would be eating in healthy places. I looked up  Wild Burger's website and saw they had gluten free options for their turkey burgers. VIOLA. I hit "purchase Groupon" quicker than you can count to one and when we got there, we were pleasantly surprised. This is where I learned that you can sub lettuce for buns! Wham Bam. I know I am probably behind the times, but anything that even hints that it tastes like a lettuce wrap is off my consumption radar. However, because of all the fixings in a lettuce burger, you can barely even taste the lettuce.

LONG STORY SHORT...

If you're on a low carb diet or unfortunately gluten intolerant...you should TRY IT!

I tried a tasty little concoction tonight. We had ground venison that did not want to stick in a patty...(if you're using a really lean meat, this can happen.) so, i took some raw milk cheese, shredded it, (Cause remember, pre shredded cheese is of the devil) and mixed it with my ground meat. It was surprisingly helpful.

The best part about all of this, is that you don't need a special recipe. You just need everything you'd use for a regular burger and omit the buns!! If I haven't enticed you to try it...here are some pictures to persuade.
FIXINS

Venison patty
can you see the cheese marbled throughout?
now the layers


Voila...colorful, tasty, healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment