Saturday, August 24, 2013

colorful cilantro lime nacho's (gluten free!)

Some nights it's hit and miss around here with healthy eating. As much as I obsess over this lifestyle, I sure haven't mastered it yet.... Yet. :)
However, when your husband yells: "nailed it, Ky!" as he's finishing his dinner, it makes this wannabe foodie proud.
This recipe was inspiration from one of my FAVORITE cafe fresh delicacies; the cilantro lime quesadilla. Nothing is better than that dish.
I got home around 9:30 last night and had half a mind to simply order out.. BUT...I don't know what I'd be eating and we all know how much I love that. So I started making dinner. And I don't regret it for half a second! It was so tasty!

Cilantro Lime Nacho's


  • 1 bag all natural gluten-free corn chips
  • 2 free range, boneless skinless chicken breasts; chopped
  • 1 TBSP coconut oil
  • 1 tsp all natural sea salt
  • 1/2 bag organic white sweet corn
  • 2 dollops all natural grass fed gluten free sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used part Tillamook, part raw. Tillamook doesn't have artificial growth hormones. It's the only regular store brand I'd buy!)
  • 1/2 TBS Bobs red mill corn starch (gluten free)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk)
  • One jar sugar free salsa (if you have a local sports, opt for the Chia, flax and quinoa salsa to add a little super to your food!)
  • Cilantro
  • Lime
To start, heat your coconut oil over medium heat. sautee some cilantro and salt until the cilantro looks crispy and brown. At that point, remove most of it from the oil, return to heat and add your chicken. Once your chicken is in, take half your lime and squeeze the juices from it onto your cooking chicken. 
In a separate pot, boil your corn. 
In another pot (sorry, I'm not the one pot chef) add your almond milk and corn starch (mixed in) and begin to let it simmer. Once it's simmered, slowly stir in your cheese a little at a time until cheese melts. Your sauce should begin to thicken and look like a light colored cheese sauce.
Once everything is cooked through, it is time to layer those nacho's!! Chips, chicken, corn, cilantro, cheese, salsa, sour cream, juice of lime and DEVOUR! 

This will be a recipe I make all the time. Although it is a messy one, it was worth it! The crisp taste of cilantro complements the creaminess of the cheese and sour cream perfectly finished off by the crunch of the chip. Try it for yourself!!


Color, flavor, health...doesn't get much better than that! 
Bon Appetit!

Happy, healthy cooking!! 

<3 KBS






No comments:

Post a Comment