Monday, April 29, 2013

Sweet tooth fix (update 5/13/13)

No matter how much I am educated in the health world, I will always be a fat kid at heart. I will always like dessert and have cravings. I've noticed lately, since I haven't been eating sugar, that regularly sweet things are too sweet for my liking. I ate two peachy-o's the other day and wanted to vomit. However, it's the cakes, brownies and cookies I still crave.
For about three minutes this month, I worked for salad master. It was an amazing product and I loved every thing I presented, but I just don't have a knack for sales. I didn't love being in people's homes trying to sell them something...however, they had a cake they made where they frosted it with a hersheys chocolate bar instead of frosting. I kept thinking: yeah, that's better...and not nearly as bad as frosting...but I still wasn't content to call it health cake... I was determined to make it better.
I set out to the health food store tonight to tame my craving. I don't care what anyone says, eating fruit doesn't nix a craving. Not for this fat kid anyway. So, I found a gluten free chocolate cake mix. Be careful when you're buying gluten free baking products... Most of them are loaded with sugar. READ LABELS. The particular mix I found was sweetened with evaporated cane juice. It's not refined or harmful to your body. I choose gluten free mixes because 1. I am intolerant, and 2. Because you can actually find gluten free cake mixes with healthy, natural sweeteners. Next, I went to the chocolate bar section... This is where it gets tricky...most chocolate bars have sugar. However, I found a brand that was sweetened with beet sugar and didn't have any oils in it. And, it was even mint flavored (Also certified gluten free and they donate partial profits to habitat for humanity) Again, this form of sugar was not processed and completely natural; the body digests things better when they haven't been chemically altered.
All you need to do is bake the cake according to the package directions.
I use olive oil for my baking oil.
Once the cake comes out of the oven, plop the entire chocolate bar on the hot cake and cover it with a clean kitchen towel to trap the heat in.
About five minutes later, the chocolate will be glossy and ready to spread around the cake.
I just cut that bad boy up and served it hot.
I loved this cake not only for its decently healthy, but also because its not sweet. The dark mint chocolate gives it a bitter taste that satisfies a fat kids craving while not making the sugar hater in me sick!
I'm never sure how my experiments are going to turn out, so I made the mistake of throwing away all my wrappers and boxes. :( but I promise, you'll be able to find similar items if you just read the labels. :)

Happy healthy fat kid eating!!

UPDATE:
For those of you who wanted the EXACT brands I used, you're in luck. I went to the store today and picked up more supplies. And fancy that, I even took pictures before I threw the trash away. Here they are:






No comments:

Post a Comment