Thursday, July 18, 2013

Paleo Nutella *update!

 Yet another update: click here to find out why this recipe is good for you while still being tasty!

I was 11 years old when I was introduced to the magic of nutella. But it wasn't in the states back then. My step dad used to travel to Europe multiple times a month. He would bring home all sorts of European delicacies and my favorite was nutella. No one does food as well as the Europeans.

Ever since I started eating clean and avoiding processed sugars, I naturally haven't had these treats in years.

HOWEVER, God is good and led me to a PALEO recipe for nutella. :) Holy Hannah, I must be doing something right!! I did tweak it a bit, or a lot, so I'm pretending it's my recipe. ;)

So, here it goes!!

Homemade Paleo Nutella

Ingredients
  • 1 cup blanched hazelnuts
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar (you could try the subbing maple syrup, but evaporated cane sugar isn't refined so it's technically Paleo. :) since it's from it's original source)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
  • pinch of celtic sea salt

  1. pre-heat your oven to 375. Spread your hazelnuts in a thin layer and bake for 10-15 minutes until the brown skins are dark brown and flaky. 
  2. Put hazelnuts in a bowl and let cool. 
  3. Once cool, trap hazelnuts between two bowls and shake vigorously. Brown skins should flake right off. (Don't stress about them coming all way off. You just want a majority of them off. :)) 
  4. Put the nuts in a food processor (or in my case, a magic bullet) and process until the natural oils start to emerge and the texture is smooth. (This may take a while, and you may have to scrape the sides of your food processor often)
  5. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. 
  6. Store extra's in the fridge (if you have any) in a sealed container for up to two weeks. :)
We enjoyed some of our nutty nutella with strawberries and banana's!! 

I will make a disclaimer, I haven't had regular nutella in ages, so I am not sure if they compare EXACTLY, but from what I can remember, it was close. AND, it was mega tasty either way! 

This is why your hazelnut butter should look like before you add all the other ingredients. CREAMY. :) 

Luscious! 

ON a delicious strawberry!

Chocolate covered banana! (this was each our favorite thing we dipped)

Get your food processors cranking pals, it's worth the mess. :) 

Happy, healthy, healing!!

<3 KBS

*update 1. Um, I kinda woke up wanting this for breakfast...so I gave in. Don't judge. 
Update 2: the flavors set SO much better being in the fridge over night. I recommend greatly refrigerating it before eating it! Or eat half and half like we did! Ha. It's just that good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment