Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quinoa Chicken Soup

I...Am a slacker. I am so sorry! I haven't posted in over a month and I feel like a traitor to all my millions of fans. (hahahahhaha Hi mom! ...actually she doesn't even read my blog...Sigh...)
But I have a really good excuse! I've been moving. Do you know how awful moving is? it is. That is all!

ANYWAY, I was contacted by a friend who has had some stomach issues lately and she asked what types of things I eat. I decided to forward her my meal plan for the week and I wanted to suggest this recipe and it wasn't even on this blog (it's on my old sappy newlywed blog...how does the world make sense?)!! It is one of my favorites! So, this isn't even a totally new post but I promise it is worth the read. Try it out, even. :)

"I CRAVE chicken noodle soup every winter all winter. I'm a comfort food nut, but the side effects of comfort food aren't very comforting to me. As of late anything with gluten has been tearing me up. My kinisiologist thinks I may be gluten intolerant. Joy. But, I figure if health is my trial...bring it! At least it's something I LOVE learning about!
Anywho. The chicken noodle soup craving came fast and strong today while I was out in the cold. Something you need to know about me, is that I am a cheap skate!! (In most scenarios) gluten free noodles just were not happening! Can you say expensive? So, I made the chicken and vegetables like normal, boiled in organic chicken broth and then added sea salt, pepper, basil and a little bit of distilled water.
As it simmered I knew it wouldn't suffice. I needed something that would give it a noodly texture and stick to my ribs. What does that better than quinoa?? I can eat 1/2 cup of quinoa and and be full for hours! So, once my chicken/veggie mixture came to a boil, I added rinsed quinoa and cooked for about 20 minutes. Needless to say...it made the blog, satisfied my craving and was completely gluten free!!"


You will need:
1 32oz carton of organic free range chicken broth
16 oz distilled water
2 C diced organic carrots
2 C diced organic celery
1/2 C diced onions
4 cooked free range chicken breasts, shredded
salt, pepper and basil to taste (I probably add a tablespoon of basil because I love my soup strong!)
1-2 Cups (depending on how many people you're feeding) rinsed quinoa.

Add broth, water, carrots, celery, cooked chicken, onions and seasoning to a large pot. once carrots and celery are almost tender, add rinsed quinoa and simmer for 20 minutes. (the quinoa will absorb a lot of the water so you may want to add more after. :) )
 
 
Happy, Healthy, Healing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment